Sunday, August 27, 2017

San Diego

In July, we went to San Diego for a few days with Marks family. I was very stressed out about going because I felt like I should just stay home and work on school stuff, but I'm glad I went and didn't do that. It was a nice end of summer thing.
We took it slow, so I don't feel like we did much, but what we did do was really beautiful. I think if I had to choose between a mountain house or a ocean house, I would choose ocean. You know, with my millions in teacher money. 
We flew in pretty early, so we ate breakfast at the Patio on Lamont (best french toast I have ever had!) and then we checked into our airbnb and took a long nap. After we woke up, we headed to dinner at a really authentic Thai place called The Original Sab-E-Lee. It was more northern thai food than usual places and Mark was really excited to go. We got a "medium" level of spice and it was really difficult to eat, but it was so delicious. I would recommend the drunken noodle, thai sausage, pork neck and beef jerky..

The next day, we went to Torrey Pines and it was really pretty. We ended up hiking quite a lot more than I thought we would, but there were so many really pretty viewpoints. 

Cool spider web 

Mark and the other males in the family went and saw Dunkirk on 70 mm film. Not sure what that really means, just that it was cool. I had no desire to see Dunkirk, so my mother in law and I went shopping at an outdoor mall. She took me into Clarks and I was like "oh man, an old person shoe store" and I ended up buying these sandals that are not only the most comfortable shoes I have ever had but they are really cute!

After the boys movie ended, we went to this amazing ramen and yakitori place called Yakitori Yakyudori & Ramen. It was SO GOOD! The spicy miso ramen was the best ramen I have had in my freaking life. I am really sad because no ramen will ever compare.

The next day we spent at the San Diego Zoo. I was pretty against going to the zoo because the only time I have been there is with little kids and I thought it would be lame without them. Boy was I wrong! I loved the zoo so much. The orangutans were so active and they were making my life. I literally took out some kids so I could be right up next to them, pretty much re-tearing my meniscus in the process. 
Though zoos are depressing, it made me a little happy knowing that the San Diego Zoo is one of the leading zoos in not only making the animals healthy, but happy.

So I am terrified of these little things, maybe because I have only been on the lagoon ones with dumb teens, but we decided to go on them. This is me doing the "this is fine" in a burning room meme.
 My true feelings

We ate Japanese BBQ that night, we go to a Gyu-Kaku in every city we visit since we don't have one in Utah.

The next day, we woke up early because I had found a really good deal on whale watching. We boarded the boat and my MIL says, "I hope you don't get sick!" I didn't even think about my sensitive stomach. I got so sick on our cruise, I literally have never been in a moving car without getting a little queasy. I am so sensitive with that stuff. I was super worried because as soon as we left the harbor it was the bumpiest ride ever! But I just kept my focus on looking for whales and I didn't get nauseous. About halfway through the boat ride, I looked down onto the second deck and I saw that half the boat (everyone on that level) was puking their guts out. My poor MIL also got sick. By some miracle, I did not get sick. I felt a tiny bit green but only after realizing that everyone was dying. I'm super thankful because that could have turned my day really upside down.
The whale watching itself was amazing. We saw a whale, but the main part that was crazy was the over 200 dolphins we saw! They had a ton of babies with them and they were coming right up to our boat and jumping around. It was so cute and incredible. I really recommend San Diego Whale Watch if you go.

That night, we went to sushi for dinner. We are eating our meal when this guy all of the sudden stands up and says, "I'm choking!!!!" and immediately a group of guys from another table gets up to give him the heimlech. They realize after a minute or two of the heimlech that this guy is taking and they can hear him breathe, then they notice his neck his red and splotchy so they realize he is having a allergic reaction and his throat is closing up. Someone at the place luckily had a epipen and dramatically stabbed the guy with it. 
This whole time, the restaurant staff does nothing. They are just going about their business while everyone eating in the restaurant is just staring. Luckily, a customer called 911 and that was the only reason help came. The guy walked out of the restaurant but then immediately the EMT put him on a stretcher and he was gone. Anyway, it was only thanks to people in there restaurant that saved this guy. There are good people in the world. There are also horrible people, but good people mostly. Sushi Ota needs to step up their emergency game plan.

That night, we went to the beach to watch the sunset and it was the most gorgeous thing I've ever seen! The lighting was incredible, it was pretty unreal.

We flew out the next day but we had time to stop at Point Loma and Old Town before we grabbed lunch and went to catch our flight. We never made it to Coronado, but I almost got in a car accident on the bridge once and I kind of have trauma from it so I was okay with it. Haha!

So that was my summer! 
You might see me a little bit less around here for a while. I want to get my education podcast up and running and a few other projects.  I really want to start a food instagram with Mark and I behind it since we spend........too much....on eating out and we don't often eat at the same place twice, and never chains. Is there too many of those in the world? What do you guys think? I dunno. I'm kind of exhausted with social media and blogging, it feels like there are no new ideas these days. 
See ya when I see ya! 
 photo riley-sig_zps51d1cb9c.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment